There are new stable Tor releases available for download. If you build Tor from source, you can find the source for the latest stable release on our Download page. You can find the older releases at https://dist.torproject.org/. Packages should be available over the coming days, including a planned TorBrowser release in November.
These releases backport stability fixes from later Tor releases, and add the key for the latest directory authority, “bastet”.
The ChangeLog for 0.3.1.8 follows below. For the changelogs for other releases, see the announcement email.
Tor 0.3.1.8 is the second stable release in the 0.3.1 series. It includes several bugfixes, including a bugfix for a crash issue that had affected relays under memory pressure. It also adds a new directory authority, Bastet.
Changes In Version 0.3.1.8 – 2017-10-25
- Directory authority changes:
- Major bugfixes (relay, crash, assertion failure, backport from 0.3.2.2-alpha):
- Fix a timing-based assertion failure that could occur when the circuit out-of-memory handler freed a connection’s output buffer. Fixes bug 23690; bugfix on 0.2.6.1-alpha.
- Minor features (directory authorities, backport from 0.3.2.2-alpha):
- Remove longclaw’s IPv6 address, as it will soon change. Authority IPv6 addresses were originally added in 0.2.8.1-alpha. This leaves 3/8 directory authorities with IPv6 addresses, but there are also 52 fallback directory mirrors with IPv6 addresses. Resolves 19760.
- Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the October 4 2017 Maxmind GeoLite2 Country database.
- Minor bugfixes (compilation, backport from 0.3.2.2-alpha):
- Fix a compilation warning when building with zstd support on 32-bit platforms. Fixes bug 23568; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha. Found and fixed by Andreas Stieger.
- Minor bugfixes (compression, backport from 0.3.2.2-alpha):
- Handle a pathological case when decompressing Zstandard data when the output buffer size is zero. Fixes bug 23551; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (directory authority, backport from 0.3.2.1-alpha):
- Remove the length limit on HTTP status lines that authorities can send in their replies. Fixes bug 23499; bugfix on 0.3.1.6-rc.
- Minor bugfixes (hidden service, relay, backport from 0.3.2.2-alpha):
- Avoid a possible double close of a circuit by the intro point on error of sending the INTRO_ESTABLISHED cell. Fixes bug 23610; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (memory safety, backport from 0.3.2.3-alpha):
- Clear the address when node_get_prim_orport() returns early. Fixes bug 23874; bugfix on 0.2.8.2-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (unit tests, backport from 0.3.2.2-alpha):
- Fix additional channelpadding unit test failures by using mocked time instead of actual time for all tests. Fixes bug 23608; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.